Mid-term evaluation of the National Programme for Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS and STI in the Republic of Bulgaria
To conduct programme evaluation with the aim to identify relevance of programme design for the HIV epidemic in the country, to identify gaps in current programme implementation, and consequently provide recommendations and suggestions for changes or improvement, based on the shortcomings identified in the conclusions.
Scope of work:
- Analyse financial and other resource allocations for HIV prevention services for most-at-risk populations including a) procurement and supply management, b) decentralization of services, and c) integration of services;
- Examine the disbursement of funds for key services supported by the Global Fund grant to the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Identify the Global Fund’s programmatic and financial contribution to the identified gaps in the National HIV/STIs Programme which have resulted in an increase in coverage of key intervention services and improvement of the quality of services vis-à-vis outcomes;
- Assess the extent to which the Republic of Bulgaria has conducted a costing analysis of its National HIV/STIs Programme;
- Analyze the government’s financial management and disbursement systems to determine whether they are appropriate and transparent; and
- Assess the financial resources of the National HIV/STIs Programme to determine if the funds have been strategically invested to maximize the impact of the national response in light of the epidemiological situation.
The overall goal of the National Programme for Prevention and Control of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) 2008-2015 is to expand the coverage of the prevention in order to impede the occurrence of an HIV epidemic and to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV.
The main strategic areas under the programme are 1) health system strengthening; HIV/AIDS and STIs epidemiological surveillance and testing policy; 2) health promotion and HIV prevention among the groups most at risk; 3) health care and social services for people living with HIV/AIDS and STIs; and 4) treatment of HIV/AIDS and STIs. Main target groups of National Programme for Prevention and Control of HIV and STDs include Injecting drug users (IDUs), Men who have sex with men (MSM), Roma people, Prisoners, Female and male sex workers, young people, immigrants and mobile populations, and people living with HIV (PLHIV).
- Selection, mobilization and provision of short-term experts for the assignment;
- Desk review of national strategic documents and policies related to HIV and STIs, financing data, existing surveys and surveillances, and other relevant studies, literature and documents;
- Qualitative research implementation (focus group discussions and interviews with stakeholders, service providers, clients etc., On site observation of service delivery process);
- Data analysis;
- Conduct stakeholder presentation workshop;
- Selection, mobilisation and provision of short-term experts for each assignment;
- Provision of quality assurance for the reports/ requested outputs, monitoring of assignment implementation as well as technical backstopping for the experts;
- Management of assignment implementation;
- Contract and financial management, logistical support.