Sector Programme HIV/AIDS: Advice to the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development
The objectives of the evaluation are to assess the:
- Relevance, connectedness and structure of the UNICEF Honduras Team in attaining the emergency program objectives;
- Effectiveness (including timeliness) and efficiency of the mode of implementation, and the appropriateness and application of operational guidelines and policies; and,
- Level of beneficiary involvement.
The main purpose of this evaluation is to:
- Identify examples of good practice;
- Recommendations for improving program quality and increased accountability; and
- Recommendations for improving management and coordination.
The five topics (timeliness of response, humanitarian protection, human resources and staff development, the role of the UN system, and the coherence of the UNICEF strategies and operations) were also addressed.
During October and November 2008 Honduras was affected by a series of meteorological events (Tropical Depression Nr. 16, rain and floods), causing severe floods and landslides nationwide. The Government of Honduras declared a state of emergency on the 19th of October 2008, which requested international humanitarian assistance. On the 29th of October 2008 the United Nations System launched a Consolidated Flash Appeal for an emergency response. One significant response came from Sida (Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) in the amount of approximately 1.3 million USD to provide emergency interventions by UNICEF Honduras in the water and sanitation sector. Originally Sida had requested that a real time evaluation take place during the emergency phase, which was not possible. This evaluation focuses on the emergency as well as the rehabilitation phase of UNICEF interventions in response to tropical depression nr.16.
- Inception report;
- Desk review;
- Field mission to Honduras;
- Final report.